Rules and Definitions of the European Science Fiction Awards
The European Science Fiction Society hands, at the European Conventions, awards in the following categories:
Hall of Fame
- Best Author
- Best Publisher
- Best Artist
- Best Promoter of Science Fiction
- Best Magazine
- Best Translator
- These Awards are granted just once by the European Committee by secret ballot from the nominations submitted by the National Delegates.
- The nominations must arrive to the Secretary at least one month before the opening of the Eurocon.
- Nominations shall normally be made for a country, by delegates of that country.
- When out-of-country nominations are made, they shall be subject to a veto by delegates from the country concerned.
- The Awards are plaques or other symbolic objects and are handed by the Chair oranother Committee Officer appointed by the Chair.
Special Award: Grand Master
- Grand Master is for outstanding figures in European Science Fiction. They should have been internationally prominent in the field for at least 20 years, and subject to no major controversy.
- Suggestions of names should be sent to the ESFS Chair and Secretary at least one month before the convention.
- The decision on presentation is at the discretion of the ESFS Board and the convention Organizing committee, with the approval of the General meeting.”
Spirit of Dedication
- An artist, creator of one of more works
- An author, creator of one of more works
- An author of a performance (film, play, ballet, etc.)
- A fanzine.
- Best creator of children’s SF or fantasy books (author and/or artist)
- These Awards are granted by vote of all European participants in the European Conventions, through the assessment of the works exhibited or presented in some other way (slide-shows, documentaries) of the performances and of the fanzines exhibited.
- The works, the performances and the fanzines must have been presented or produced between the current and previous Eurocon.
- The Awards are plaques or other symbolic objects and are handed by the Chair or another Committee Officer appointed by the Chair.
- These Awards are granted according to the suggestions from the National Delegates to a young writer or artist from each European Country.
- The suggestions must arrive to the Chair at least one month before the Eurocon.
- Appropriate diplomas are handed by the Chair or another Committee Officer appointed by the Chair.
- These minor Awards are granted by the ESFS Board in conjunction with the Organising Committee of the current Eurocon to the persons who have contributed to the success of the events.
- Their nature and the manner of their awarding are chosen at the discretion of the Board and Committee, with the approval of the General meeting.